Yarrawonga Health has a dedicated Palliative Care room with an adjoining garden area and a quiet room with tea and coffee making facilities available. Staff encourage family and other important people in the patient’s life to participate in care and stay with their loved one.
In 2016 Yarrawonga Health introduced the Palliative Care Approach project across the acute area of the hospital and the three aged care homes.
At Yarrawonga Health we want to provide the palliative patient with:
- autonomy, dignity, comfort and respect
- honest, open discussion about conditions and treatment options
- choice in available evidence-based treatment options
- effective management of pain and other distressing symptoms
- quality of life, as defined by the patient, in the circumstances
- their cultural or spiritual wishes honoured and
- access to the people they wish to be present